Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lesson 1: Basic Classification

Since this is my first post, I figure I should probably start with the basics. I think I should start with how to classify nutrition, yes?

Everything  in nutrition can generally be classified as a Macronutrient or Micronutrient.

Macronutrients are substances that that we need to consume a lot of for survival. This makes sense because the prefix "Macro" means large. Not surprisingly, all of our calories comes from Macronutrietns. The three basic Macronutruents are:
  • Carbohydrates
  •  Protein
  •  Fat
Micronutrients are substances that we can consume less of, but are still needed for survival. The prefix "Micro" means small. Micronutrients are usually classified as
  • Vitamins
  • Minerals
I've included a picture for all you "visual learners"

Okay, so there are the very basics of nutrition classification. I hope you learned something new that you can run home and tell mamma. Have a nutritious day! 

2 comments: